Cellulose Blown-In Insulation
In order to lower the dangers of fire, water, and mould, cellulose insulation is a material created primarily from post-consumer recycled goods. It is as fire-resistant as blown-in insulation, but, if necessary, measures are not taken to address a problem that already exists before installation, it may be vulnerable to water damage.
The usage circumstances affect how quickly cellulose insulation degrades mechanically. The applied temperature, as well as the presence of oxygen and moisture, are those parameters of primary significance. Even little levels of moisture have a significant impact on the cellulose insulation’s mechanical durability. In general, for every twofold increase in water content, the mechanical life of the insulation is decreased by 50%. Moisture accelerates oxidation-promoted degradation, which is most effective at temperatures below 120 degrees centigrade. When temperatures rise above 120 degrees Celsius, significantly dry insulation degrades at a different rate depending on its prior performance. The effects of intermittent exposure to high temperatures mount up. When the insulation under study has lost more than 50% of its tensile strength, the “eight-degree-centigrade rule,” states that the rate of mechanical deterioration doubles for every eight degrees centigrade increase from a base temperature of 120 degrees centigrade or higher, applies most closely for practical use.
Cellulose should always be topped off at a height of 16″-17″ to ensure the heat is kept in properly, while maximizing your savings with your utility bills.
What are the Pros and Cons of Cellulose Insulation?
- Spray foam insulation can be integrated with this versatile material.
- A fire-retardant treatment
- Cost-effect fiberglass insulation with a similar R-value
- High recycled content makes it environmentally beneficial and permits dense packing in already-existing wall cavities.
- If a problem already exists, could be vulnerable to water damage.
- After installation, it settles, which may diminish effectiveness (professionally installed cellulose insulation is installed with settling in mind).
Need a quote?
Contact us today for a FREE consultation on how to have an energy-efficient home